Welcome to games corner, where I bring you all the games info you need to know, every single week.
This week, its aaaaaall Nintendo! On Thursday April 2nd, Nintendo dropped one of their regular Nintendo Direct presentations with plenty of stuff for us to unpack.
With wave 4 just around the corner and not much else to look forward to Amiibo wise, Nintendo decided to drop a metric ton of Amiibo announcements, releases and variants for us to get excited about.
First up, Waves 5, 6 & 7 of the SSB lineup are broken up in to smaller batches, spread over the next three months. Release dates are May 29th, "June" and "July" respectively, as seen in the image below.
Also mentioned was that Lucas, a character from the same game series as Ness and a playable character Smash Bros Brawl, will be making a return as DLC - with promises of an Amiibo for him and fellow DLC character Mewtwo to be available in the future.
To add to the Smash news, Nintendo have opened up a ballot here, allowing people to vote for anyone or anything to become a playable Smash character. Presumably they will pick some of the most popular (reasonable) ones to become DLC. I would hinge my bets on said DLC characters joining Lucas and Mewtwo in becoming Amiibo as well.
Next, we were updated on Yoshi's Wooly World, an insanely cute looking game coming June 26th. Alongside this release will be 3 Yarn Yoshi Amiibo - green, pink and light blue Yoshi. Hopefully this means we will also be getting other colours some time in the future as well.
These Woolen Yoshi Amiibo are made of actual knitted material. Seriously, there is only one thing that can be said about these cute as hell Yoshi Amiibo.
Each Yoshi will be available to purchase separately, with a green Yoshi and game bundle also available.
Lastly, Nintendo announced 3 brand new Amiibo to be hitting our stores in the next few months. They will be released alongside the game they feature in on May 29 (same day as Smash wave 5).
Thats right, we will be getting Splatoon Amiibos.
They will be available in a special three pack as seen above, as well as the two humanoid characters being available separately. As far as we've been told, the only way to obtain the Squid Amiibo is in the three pack.
It is worth noting that if you watched the Nintendo direct pegged for Australia, there was no mention of a three pack, and the only way you could obtain the Squid Amiibo is through a bundle with the actual game. This is actually for the Europe region only. It will be the three pack on Australia.
The final physical Amiibo announcement was that of Amiibo cards. Yes, we are actually getting cards that work just like Amiibo.
The only announced cards so far are ones compatible with a 3DS game set for release this Spring in Australia - Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer.
The few final tidbits of information I have for you are in regards to the actual use of your Amiibo. I know right, you can actually open and play with your Amiibo?! I was shocked as well.
- Amiibo touch & play - a new piece of free software for the Wii U will be available in May, which will allow you to play timed demos of old SNES and NES games. once you have tapped an Amiibo, a random game will get assigned to it - meaning if you want to play all the demos, you will need to collect a lot of Amiibo.
- Mario Kart 8 has a new update coming! there are now a total of 9 new Mii outfits that you can unlock with Amiibo - Rosalina, Pacman, Bowser, Toad, Mega man, Sonic, Wario, Olimar & Villager (LOL). This update should be available April 23.
- As shown above, Nintendo is also finally releasing an NFC reader compatible with the regular old Nintendo 3DS/XL. You will be able to bring your Amiibo in to compatible 3DS games, such as Super Smash Bros 3DS, without needing to upgrade to the New Nintendo 3DS. This hardware should be available around the same time as the Amiibo cards.
Nintendo Wii U
First off for the Wii U, Nintendo has updated a few release dates for their upcoming games:
- Splatoon - May 29th 2015
- Yoshi's Wooly World - June 29th 2015
- Mario Maker - September 2015
- Affordable Space Adventures - a space management platforming space sim game, where you need to manage your ship as you travel the depths of space - April 9th 2015
- Swords and Soldiers 2 - a side scrolling action RPG sequel - May 21st, 2015
Nintendo is also looking to beef up its virtual console lineup, adding the following to the store:
- Super Mario 64 - out now
- Donkey Kong 64 - out now
- Warioware touched (DS) - out now
- Mario Kart DS - out now
- Paper Mario (N64) - May 2015
- Yoshi's Island DS - May 2015
Not only are we getting some N64 and DS software, we are also getting our first Wii virtual console software:
- Pandoras Tower - April 16th 2015
- Sin and Punishment - April 30th 2015
Along side the Amiibo update mentioned above for Mario Kart 8, Nintendo also announced that said update will bring us the availability of the Animal Crossing DLC pack, along with a whole new racing mode - 200cc races. This is a first for the series - you will now need to actually brake!
We also got a look at a Wii U game that was announced way back in Jan 2013 - Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. The game is truly looking like a AAA experience, with cutscenes that look just like an anime show, as well as an involved battle system and a "real life" area to explore. We still have no release date as yet.
A horror game released in Japan in September 2014 is looking to get an English release at the end of 2015 - Project Zero (known as Fatal Frame in the US.) This one could actually have some unique gameplay elements involving the Wii U Gamepad.
Release dates for a few games on the 3DS have also been dropped:
- Attack on Titan: Humanity in Chains - a fast paced single/multi player action experience. Right now, the first two episodes of the anime Attack on Titan are available for a free for a limited time on the eShop. Available May 2015 as an eShop only purchase
- Azure Striker Gunvolt - a side scrolling beat em up, available April 2nd 2015
- Box Boy - Indie puzzle platformer with a massive amount of cute. Available now on the eShop
- Pokemon Rumble World - April 8th 2015
- Streetpass Fishing, Streetpass Zombies & Mii Plaza Premium - April 17th 2015
- Puzzle & Dragons Z / Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Brothers Edition - May 9th 2015
- Code Name S.T.E.A.M. - 16th May 2015
- Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - Spring 2015
Some more information for the new Fire Emblem game has come to light. The game features two countries at war, and for the first time ever - you are able to chose which side to take. How this all works is still yet to be announced, but it will involve two separate stories with different characters and plots. The game has been given the title "Fire Emblem if" in Japan, with rumors that the second story and a 3rd story option will be available as extra purchases in game. Whether this pans out as true in the English version is unclear. Release date is set as "2016".
And that's all the Nintendo news for this week!
New game releases & DLC
Axiom verge - PS4
A metroidvania style game.
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin - Steam
Special edition Dark Souls 2. Other platforms are due for release next week.
Sims 4 Get to Work Expansion - PC/Mac
Get a job. In the Sims I mean, not in real life. Although a job in the real world is probably a good idea as well.